Wednesday, May 24, 2017

2017 Rising Star Selection

Our Lead Attorney, Pamela Ross, has been selected to the 2017 California Rising Stars list.  This is her second year on the list. Each year, no more than 2.5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by the research team at Super Lawyers to receive this honor. Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters (associated with Westlaw) business, is a rating service of outstanding lawyers from more than 70 practice areas who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. The annual selections are made using a patented multiphase process that includes a statewide survey of lawyers, an independent research evaluation of candidates, and peer reviews by practice area. The result is a credible, comprehensive, and diverse listing of exceptional attorneys. The Super Lawyers lists are published nationwide in Super Lawyers Magazines and in leading city and regional magazines and newspapers across the country. Super Lawyers Magazines also feature editorial profiles of attorneys who embody excellence in the practice of law. 

Super Lawyers maintain strict separation between research and advertising. The names of all attorneys selected by Super Lawyers are published in our print publications and at at no charge whether they advertise or not. Advertising sales do not begin until after the selection process is completed and Attorneys are not required to participate in advertising. For more information about Super Lawyers, visit

Thursday, May 11, 2017

Welcoming a New Attorney...

Join us in welcoming Katherine Lo as a new Staff Attorney for All for the Family Legal Clinic.
Katherine attended UC Davis for law school and received a BA in Psychology from UC Berkeley. She has volunteered countless hours in the area of Immigration Law with the Asian Law Alliance in San Jose and worked with the Yolo County Self Help Center assisting pro per litigants in areas of Family Law, Restraining Orders, and Unlawful Detainers. Katherine also speaks conversational Mandarin Chinese. We are excited to add her to the team.

Saturday, April 8, 2017

We're Hiring!


All for the Family Legal Clinic, Inc. is a 501(c)3 nonprofit legal clinic dedicated to serving low income and middle income families in the Bay Area. There is an opportunity for either a 1099 contractor position or a full time employee position depending on desired candidate’s experience and availability.

Attorney will handle family law cases, mostly related to divorce, custody, and restraining orders. Most cases will be in Alameda County; however we do also practice in Contra Costa, San Mateo, Santa Clara, and San Francisco counties.

  • Active California Bar Membership required
  • A minimum of 1 year of experience in Family Law (internships may be considered toward experience)
  • Self-starter, as you will have the ability to work from home
  • Ability to complete tasks without much guidance and training
  • Ability to come into the office in Castro Valley at least 3 days per week for meetings with clients, to check mail, and to discuss cases as needed
  • Detail oriented as filings and briefs require extensive attention to detail
  • Ability to do own legal research and writing as needed; Familiarity with family law forms
  • Must be able to get to court hearings as required
  • After attorney builds up a full case load, they should expect to bill between 20-30 hours per week (or 1200+ hours per year)

We are a nonprofit focused on providing the best legal representation to clients. We serve members of various cultural and socio-economic groups. We are dedicated to community service and we are looking for a like minded individual. You will be one of four attorneys.  

Send resume and writing sample to Pamela Ross at

Friday, February 3, 2017

The All for the Family Legal Clinic, Inc. family, receiving the Law Firm of Year, Distinguished Service Award from the Alameda County Bar Association on January 26th, 2017.

Lisi Munayco (Of Counsel Contract Attorney since June 2013), Pamela Ross (Founder & CEO), Hazel Bradshaw (Of Counsel Contract Attorney since May 2015), and Olga Dombrovskaya (Of Counsel Contract Attorney since July 2016)

Sunday, October 9, 2016

Continuance: How do I change my court date?

One of the questions that we get all of the time from people who call our intake line is "How do I get a continuance for my hearing?" This may be because they are unavailable, they want time to find an attorney, etc. Although for attorneys this is generally a very straight forward process, it can be hard for a pro per (someone who represents themselves).

First you need to contact the other side to see if they will agree to a continuance. If the answer is yes, then you should get a list of unavailable dates from the other party before taking the next step of contacting the department clerk to see what date the court has available.

After you know the potential new date, you would file the proper paperwork (signed by both parties).
In Alameda county we have a local form ALA Fl-035 (find it and other local forms at ) . My first suggestion would be looking for a local form in whatever county your case is in. If your county does not have a local form, then you can create a pleading (word document) where you would essentially type in similar information to what is on the local form referenced here, and then after both parties have signed it, you would submit that to your court.

Now what if the other side will not agree to a continuance? Well, if you want a continuance so that you have time to find an attorney, most of the time, you can show up to court the day of the hearing and ask the court for a continuance so that you can find an attorney. This is a risk, since you likely will want to do response paperwork in advance of the hearing, just in case the continuance is denied. If you are scheduled for a hearing and this is your first continuance request,they are generally approved by the court, but there are no guarantees. I would suggest you consult with an attorney to draft your response paperwork just to be safe.

If you honestly cannot be there because you are scheduled to be out of town, have an emergency, etc and the other party will not agree to a continuance, then you can file a Request for an Ex Parte Temporary Emergency Order (FL-300 and FL-305). In that request you should 1) have provided notice to the other party that you will be filing this request since they will not agree 2) you should have attempted to get the other side to agree in advance of filing your request 3) provide the court with the reason  you need a continuance and list your attempts to get the other side to agree to it and 4) provide the court with any dates that you know you or the other side are available for a hearing.

You would then file those documents (along with any local forms necessary for an ex parte. See form ALA Fl-010 for Alameda County) and the court would rule on your request within about 2 business days.

Monday, August 22, 2016

My Ex isn't paying the court ordered Child support? Now what?

You went to court and the judge ordered your ex to pay child support- Great! You need the money to put food on the table and you already have maxed out your credit cards with medical bills, school supplies, etc for your little one. The 1st of the month comes and gasp - your ex never pays you.... now what do you do?

The bad news is that results wont necessarily be immediate, but the good news is that there is help. Contact your local child support agency. In Alameda County it is

The local child support agency can:

  • Establish paternity, child support and medical coverage court orders.
  • Locate the non-custodial parent and his or her assets to enforce the court order.
  • Collect and distribute child, medical, and spousal support payments.
  • Maintain accounts of payments owed and received.
  • Modify court orders when appropriate.
  • Enforce Alameda County Court orders for child, spousal and medical support

Donate Today!

Last month we celebrated 4 years of providing sliding scale services to low income and moderate income families all over the Bay Area.

Lately we have been receiving a ton of calls from people needing assistance. Although our goal is to help as many families as possible, at this time we do not receiving grant funding or large donations and we survive solely on the fees collected from our clients for services that we provide them.

To help us expand our services, consider a tax deductible donation. We are listed with and with which both permit company matches! You can also mail a check directly to All for the Family Legal Clinic, Inc 3137 Castro Valley Blvd #210, Castro Valley, CA 94546 or you can select our charity on and donate just by making your regular purchases, at no cost to you!